Innovation for inspiration.
What determines when Nikon releases a full-frame flagship camera? When technological innovation demands it. Introducing the D5, an FX-format DSLR that makes the impossible possible. Huge advancements in sensor design, autofocus, metering and image processing result in thrilling new capabilities—low light shooting all the way to ISO 102,400 (expandable to an unheard of ISO 3,280,000), precise AF detection and tracking across that entire ISO range, regardless of your subject's speed or direction changes, blazing fast 12 fps continuous shooting, 4K UHD video and, of course, image quality that captures the hearts and minds of your viewers. This is not iteration, friends. This is innovation...spectacular innovation. How will it change the way you shoot?
Game-changing low light capabilities
The low light performance of the D5 might make it a legend. With Nikon's widest native ISO range (100 to 102,400) and highest expanded range (up to Hi-5 ISO 3,280,000), advancements in noise reduction and color fidelity and a next-generation AF system that performs in near darkness (EV -4), a world of new shooting opportunities has opened. Capture clear, sharp images you may not have attempted before—at night, in dark reception halls, arenas and more. For surveillance and security applications, this expanded ISO range means getting a shot others can't see without a flash.
The sheer imaging power of the D5 is exhilarating. With its Nikon developed 20.8MP FX-format CMOS sensor, the D5 is the highest resolution full-frame Nikon flagship ever and ready for your next challenge. Nikon's superior image processor has been updated to EXPEED 5 to harness the power of this remarkable new sensor, and a second processor has been added just for autofocus. All of the exquisite detail and textures, vibrant colors and rich tonality delivered by NIKKOR lenses is captured in flawless precision, even in extreme low light. Create images that move people.
When you hear the D5 shooting at full speed—12 fps with fulltime AF and AE, 14 fps with fixed focus and AE with mirror up—you know the game has changed. For the first time in a Nikon DSLR, a second processor is dedicated solely to autofocus operation and computing. A new shutter and mirror sequencing mechanism nearly eliminates blackout time and mirror slap for bright, consistent views during high-speed capture. EXPEED 5 and a high performance buffer handle up 200 NEF (RAW) and/or Large JPEG images during one high-speed burst—enough to cover an entire 100m sprint without taking your finger off the shutter release button. The new 180K RGB Advanced Scene Recognition System pulls it all together and ensures every shot has optimal exposure.
Nikon's fastest, most accurate AF system yet
The D5 ushers in a new era of autofocus with the Multi-CAM 20K AF sensor module. It uses 153 focus points with 99—yes 99—cross-type sensors and a fully dedicated AF processor, and it works in near darkness (EV -4). Small subjects moving at high speed, even in low light, can be tracked with remarkable precision. The system is configurable in 153-, 72- and 25-point coverage when used with Continuous AF. All 153 points are compatible with AF NIKKOR lenses f/5.6 or faster, and 15 central points work with an effective aperture of f/8. Whether you're shooting a high-speed race or A-listers on the red carpet, the D5 has you covered.
4K UHD video in light others wouldn't dare
For the first time in a full-frame Nikon DSLR, record 4K Ultra High Definition (UHD) video with dot-by-dot readout for maximum image quality. Capture 3840 x 2160 at 30/25/24p with an angle of view approx. 1.5x lens focal length, or record Full HD 1080 video at 60/30/24p. Shoot stunning 4K UHD Time-lapse, right in camera. Auto ISO handles smooth lighting transitions from ISO 200 to the sensitivity of your choice (all the way up to Hi-5). Enjoy all the professional video capabilities of D4S and D810—simultaneous external and internal recording, Flat Picture Control, Zebra Stripes, a built-in stereo microphone with 20-step increment adjustments and so much more. Combine the D5's low light capabilities and the versatility of NIKKOR lenses, and your next video project is bound to be acclaimed.
A smooth operator
Incorporating feedback from the field, the D5 is engineered to reduce the stress factors of shooting all day. Improved ergonomics and an expanded illuminated button layout put key controls at your fingertips. A high resolution XGA Touchscreen LCD with a smartphone-like interface makes it easy to select AF points or Spot White Balance in Live View, swipe through shots, pinch to zoom, edit file names and more. New double XQD card slots* easily handle the camera's incredible burst shooting capacity and keep the buffer cleared. All of this in a light and durable magnesium-alloy body with extensive weather sealing.
*A new modular design for memory lets you select a model with either dual XQD slots or dual high-speed CF slots.
Change your perspective
The D5 uses the versatile "F" lens mount that pros and advanced shooters have come to rely on. Use your prized NIKKOR glass to bring out the absolute best in your photos and videos. Pair the high speed of the D5 with a NIKKOR lens equipped with SPORT VR mode, like AF-S NIKKOR 500mm or 600mm f/4E, and experience unprecedented smoothness and precision. SPORT VR mode delivers a stable viewfinder image when tracking high-speed movement; even subjects moving quickly and unpredictably can be captured in stunning detail.
Ready for the future of creative lighting
The D5 is the first Nikon full-frame DSLR to incorporate control for its new radio controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting system. With the optional WR-A10 (Wireless Remote Adapter) and WR-R10 Wireless Remote Controller (transceiver), the D5 can control and fire up to six groups of SB-5000 Speedlights around obstacles, corners, in bright sunlight—even in another room—up to 98 feet away. Access control right from the D5's menu and shine light on yet more shooting opportunities. Of course, the D5 is also fully compatible with SB-910, SB-800 and SB-700 series Speedlights.
Shoot more and wait less with the D5’s ultrafast communication system, which performs over 1.5 times faster than D4S. Transfer files over LAN at blazing speeds: approx. 400 mbps wired and 130 mbps wirelessly with the new optional WT-6A Wireless Transmitter, which supports the IEEE802.11ac standard and extends connectivity distance to 656 ft. For even faster performance, shoot in two smaller RAW sizes: RAW size S (12 bit, uncompressed) and RAW size M, both of which maintain exceptional sharpness and detail.
XQD or Compact Flash memory? Your choice.
The D5 lets you select your preference—dual XQD card slots or dual Compact Flash slots. The XQD format is designed to take advantage of the speed that the D5 can offer photographers. For instance, the Nikon D5 can shoot at 12 frames per second and can record up to 200 NEF (RAW) and/or Large JPEG images during one high-speed burst. For photographers shooting sports, action and other fast paced events or 4K UHD video, it is vital to have a media card format that can keep up with the camera. XQD is the solution.
- Highly refined 153-point AF system with 99 cross sensors, providing wider, denser coverage.
- Continuous shooting at approx. 12 fps with full-time AF/AE, up to 200 frames even in 14-bit lossless compressed RAW.
- Unprecedented stability and visibility in viewfinder image, allowing confident tracking of moving subjects during high-speed continuous shooting, thanks to new mirror driving mechanism.
- Standard sensitivity up to ISO 102400 expandable up to Hi 5 (ISO 3280000 equivalent), providing further enhanced image quality throughout the standard sensitivity range, including the frequently used higher ISOs.
- Nikon's new, in-house developed FX-format CMOS sensor featuring 20.8 effective megapixels, that acquires image data with ultimate total balance of high resolution, rich tonal gradation, and refined signal-to-noise ratio — key for enhanced image quality at high sensitivities.
- New EXPEED 5 image-processing engine, capable of handling vast data from increased pixel-count image sensor and high-speed continuous shooting, while contributing to various aspects of image quality including clear images with less noise at high sensitivities thanks to a new noise reduction function.
- Supports 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) video recording, vital to filmmakers.
- Touch-responsive, 8-cm/3.2-in., 2359k-dot (XGA), high-resolution monitor.
- Selectable between XQD x 2 or CF x 2 — Double card slots for the same media.
- Up to approx. 3780 shots per charge*2 — Super-extended battery life achieved by the exceptionally energy-efficient design, engineered after rigorous reassessment.
- Supports radio-controlled Advanced Wireless Lighting, that widely expands flash-photography possibilities.
- Significantly increased speed of wired/wireless LAN communication and compatibility with new WT-6/A/B/C Wireless Transmitter (optional).